From Chef Erich – This is a recipe my wife found from Emeril Lagasse. I was intrigued because it was quite simple to prepare and turned out to be quite tasty. I substituted bow tie pasta for the angel hair. If you want to be adventurous, substitute Prosciutto di Parma for the bacon. It is the fresh herbs that make this dish so wonderful. I hope you all enjoy this easy weeknight recipe.
- 1 lb. of angel hair pasta or other of your choice
- ½ lb. or 5 slices of thick cut bacon in a ¼” dice
- 1½ cups of thinly sliced, yellow onion
- 2 tsp. of chopped garlic
- 2 packages of frozen peas (2 cups)
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped basil
- 2 tbsp. of freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. of freshly chopped thyme
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just al dente, about 3 minutes for angel hair.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the peas and olive oil and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the salt and pepper, and cover to keep warm.
- Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl. Add the sauce, cheese, basil, parsley, and thyme and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.