Chef Erich’s third episode of Holiday Entertaining introduces Erich’s famous dirty mashed potatoes recipe. This recipe is always served alongside Erich’s deep-fried turkey on Thanksgiving. What makes the mashed potatoes “dirty” is by using the gizzard, heart, and liver of the turkey. Watch and enjoy how this recipe all comes together.
Dirty Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 lbs. of White Potatoes. Peeled and chopped.
- 1/4 lb. Heart
- 1/2 lb. Gizzard
- 1/2 lb. Liver
- 2C Holy Trinity
- 2T Chopped Garlic
- 1t Oregano
- 1t Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- 4-6T Butter, separated.
- 1/2C Chicken Stock
- Up to 1C Heavy Cream.
- Boil the potatoes for twelve minutes or until fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, grind the heart and gizzard together in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the turkey liver in food process and pulse until smooth.
- Melt butter in pan.
- Add ground gizzard/heart to pan. Brown for 4-5 minutes.
- Once meat is browned, leave in pan and add the holy trinity to the pan. Since it is precooked, just mix evenly with the meat.
- Season the meat mixture with salt and cayenne pepper. Cook for one minute.
- Add garlic, oregano, thyme and bay leaf to pan. Cook for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock to pan. Cook for two to three minutes, scraping any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add turkey liver to pan. Cook until liver is browned.
- Season whole mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Take out the bay leaf. Remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes and heat for 1-2 minutes to dry out further.
- Add 2-4T of butter and up to 1C of heavy cream to the potatoes. The goal is to make the potatoes creamy so start adding slowly as you mash and add as needed to turn it creamy.
- Taste potatoes for seasoning as well. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add meat mixture to potatoes and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
Stay tuned for the next episode where you learn about making the pan gravy to go on top of the mashed potatoes. A winning combination!