Eggnog has always been a staple to be served in homes at Christmas time. The traditional drink is a delicious treat to enjoy. But if you’ve only had eggnog from the store, you’re really missing out. Fresh, homemade eggnog is exponentially better. Chef Erich is always responsible for bringing his homemade eggnog over for Christmas Eve & Christmas Day celebrations for all to enjoy. He made a video to walk you through the recipe so you can try at home! Enjoy!
- Dozen Eggs
- 2C Half & Half
- 2C Heavy Cream
- 2 1/2 C Sugar
- Teaspoon of Pure Vanilla
- 1/4C Brandy
- 1/4C Bourbon
- 1/4 t freshly ground nutmeg
- Take 10 eggs and crack them into pot. Save two for later.
- Add half and half and sugar to pot.
- Place pot on burner and turn stove onto medium/medium high.
- Continually whisk egg mixture. You have to constantly stir the mixture so that it doesn’t turn into scrambled eggs!
- Cook and stir until egg mixture reaches pasteurization temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once it reaches temperature, add heavy cream to the mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Add brandy and bourbon to pot. Whisk to combine.
- Add pure vanilla to pot. Whisk to combine.
- Add 1/4 t of freshly ground nutmeg to pot. Whisk to combine.
- Remove pot from cooktop. Let it cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- While that is cooling, in a stand mixer, take your last two eggs and separate the yolks out; discard the yolks.
- Add egg whites to the mixing bowl. Beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- After the eggnog has cooled, and right before you’re ready to serve, fold the egg whites into the egg nog mixture.
- You’re ready to serve! Ladle out a serving and top with fresh ground nutmeg. Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
- Best served while watching National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
Make sure to check out our previous posts from our Holiday Entertaining Series:
Pan Gravy Recipe: Quick and easy.
Dirty Mashed Potatoes Recipe, need to have this recipe for combining with the pan gravy recipe.
The Holy Trinity Recipe – The classic recipe for Creole cooking.
Chef Erich’s Favorite Cocktail Recipe – You can never eat on an empty stomach! Have a solid cocktail recipe for your guests!